Monday, November 7, 2016

So I want to say some things I didn't have time to say in the MTC. The first is that the flight from SLC to Atlanta and then to Joberg was looong! And in SLC when we were boarding the plane one of the guys said leave your bag by the door. I was like ha funny joke it's my carry on. Then he came and started to grab it and I was like wow what are you doing!? He said to grab anything i needed from it and then he took it and i put it under the plane. So from SLC to Joberg i had my passport, plane ticket, and a Sudoku book. For 21 hours of flying haha. And if you don't know missionaries aren't allowed to watch movies on the planes so that's all i had. I don't know why they put it under the plane because it is a carry on and would fit, but it happened to me and like 5 other Elders but they all had backpacks so i was like well this is nice hahaha. Also the last 3 nights in the MTC we had some rainstorms! And not just any rainstorms but some South Africa rainstorms! The lightning is sooo big and the thunder just commands everything! In the MTC there is a room with a glass roof and a like 15 Elders all went up there to watch the storms! It was so cool!! So now more about Kenya. Its getting hotter here but its not too bad. I apply my sun cream every 2 hours haha or I will cook. My companion just laughs every time I put it on. We went to a Pre-school graduation this last week and all the kids loved me and this other white Elder that serves in a surrounding area. We told them stories and made them laugh and they all wanted high fives it was awesome!! When we sat down this little little kid like a 2 year old came and just stood between my legs and had the cutest little brown eyes and he was so amazed to see a white person. He would run his little hand up my whole forearm and just feel my white skin haha it was so cute and the kids here love to see me! We have right now 7 investigators and they are all slowly progressing with one being baptized next week! Brother Kennedy the security guard at the church he wants to wait until December to be baptized so his wife can come and attend and he hopes she will join as well! On Sunday he even bore his testimony and sometime in the future probably around when he gets baptized I will tell you about how we met and yeah its just a crazy experience! Lots of people here when they see me say Mzungu. Which means white guy. Some of them say Mzungu and then some Swahili stuff after that I don't understand so I ask my companion and he like says a censored version I know it haha. The other day we went in the craziest part of the city. You could like barely walk there was so many people and I was the only Mzungu there. One guy said that and then started saying some mean stuff in English and if it weren't for my companion making me keep walking. Well I'd probably be on my way home for fighting. Haha no fights. He said to just ignore and keep walking and I did that the next day when it happened again and it worked. I told him I don't want to go to that street again though because its scary and crazy at the same time. But its also fun because its like a market street so people are selling random stuff and its all so cool! But not good for a Mzungu haha. Also everyday we walk like 15 miles in total i feel like. Its 3 to the church which we walk to every morning and then we have to walk 1-3 miles to get to members houses or investigators houses so its awesome! I like it honestly not lying! A little more about living here. I sleep in a mosquito net every night. Take a malaria pill every day. And we have to wash our clothes and dishes by hand. We don't get an oven, or dishwasher, or washer and dryer. So our clothes hang dry which is cool!! Its different but its fun! My future wife wherever she is, is lucky! Haha just kidding. Weekly funny moment: Oh my this moment was so funny in person I'm not sure if it will be as i type it but here we go. So if you don't yet know what a Tuk-Tuk looks like google it. There was a big dude and the driver in the front and an older lady and me and my companion in the back. We went and got gas and here they have someone fill it up for you. Well no one was filling us up so the driver got out and started to get into a fight with one of the guys and I was just laughing my butt off. Then the old lady started like yelling and my companion said she was encouraging our driver to beat him up. Eventually we left and we turned around on the side walk and then got stuck in this ditch and I was laughing so hard again because he we were sitting there for like 5 minutes as our driver tried to drive us out then like 10 people had to push us out. That's not all though. We then went on the most bumpy road in the history of roads, and mind you these Tuk-Tuks don't have springs so we were bouncing ALL over the Tuk-Tuk because our driver was just flooring it! Then we got to this big still incredibly bumpy hill and we got stuck again. But this time there was like 20 cars piled up behind us so me and Elder Mwanziu had to get out and push it and then we continued on the road bouncing around the cabin like it was going out of style. I was laughing so hard my body hurt hahahaha. It was the best thing ever!!! Thanks for all the emails and support! I love the emails and pictures! Keep sending them! Be safe and know you're all in my prayers! The pictures are 1st of my badge. Joburg from the MTC. Elder Brown and I. Elder Harrott (I have more and will send them later). I will send some more later! Mega amounts of love, Elder Merz

No comments:

Post a Comment