Monday, December 5, 2016

Its crazy that it's already December! I have some news and fun stuff to share for this week! So we have power outages pretty frequently here and we had one the other night and let me just talk about power outages. They are fun. You have to scramble around to find light and all the luxuries you are used to, most of them don't work which is a good thing! You get to connect with the people around you. No TVs, no microwaves or toasters, nothing! I wish phones (smart phones) also didnt work because that would make it much better. So its good to be able to just talk to those around you and get to know them better! I like power outages! Not too long ones but they are fun! Especially at night! Id like to give a quick shoutout to Ephraim and Kerri for going out on the mission! They will be great missionaries and am thankful for there willingness to serve and for the friendship they have given me! This week we got to meet with more members and we and 3 dinner appointments which is always the best because they make the most delicious food! We also got to meet with some less actives, recent converts and had a lot of memeber present lessons! One of the people who helped us out the most his name is Peter. He is a Return Missionary and is married and has a little baby. He helped us a lot and his so nice and caring! Well he went to Mombasa for a year for work. I find that different from home. People will go somewhere for work for a year like that and its completley normal. They also go on holiday for like a month or two months at a time. I was like whaaaaat!? When people at home go on holiday it is for a few days or like 2 weeks at most not 2 months!! We also got a branch mission leader and his name is Anthony. He is 20 and super awesome as well! He is totally okay to work with us all day long! We asked him if he was thinking about going on a mission and the first time he was like "ehhh". But now he is working on his papers or just about to which is awesome! He would be a really really good missionary! Phillip also got baptized on Sunday! Elder Mwanziu baptized him and it was such a wonderful spiritual experience again. He is sooooo ready and has the strongest testimony and just has the greatest love for the saviour and for the church. He is always looking to serve and always has a smile on his face. He could make anyone smile when they are having a bad day I swear! He is so amazing and it is an honor to have been a missionary for him and to help bring him to the gospel and to the true church! On Sunday we had 9 investigators at church!! It was incredible and I am so lucky and blessed! Something we talked about in Priesthood was from the November Liahona magazine. It was a story from General Conference and it was the one of the missionaries in Peru and how one of the Elders almost died and prayed super hard to live and be saved and he was. Well one thing that we talked about and that hit me was how when we are in trouble, sticky situations, or need help immediately is when we truly pray. And what I mean by truly pray is, when we are in those situations we are sincere, we are specific and are truly praying not just saying everyday prayers. We are expressing the thoughts and desires of our heart and are asking for help to a direct problem or situation. So realizing this I invite everyone who prays to honestly try to be more sincere and specific in praying. Be open and honest with our Father in Heaven and give him thanks for the blessings you have received and for all that he has given you. I know that as you do this you will begin to feel better about praying and that you will be able to recognize the hand of the lord more in your life! For anyone who doesn't pray I invite you to pray. Its not hard, there is no judgement from it, and going to our Heavenly Father for help, to feel peace, to be lifted up, for anything. Go to him and be honest and remember to be patient and he will help you! :) I am so grateful for the experiences I have had so far on the mission and for December. December is the perfect month to bring Christ to people. To help them remember the true meaning of Christmas and to remember all that he has done for us! I will never forget what he has done for me and am grateful for this time to bring people unto him! I love him. I love my Saviour and I know that he loves and knows each and every one of us personally!! Weekly funny moments: So lemme just say I am sure I sat next to Whoopi Goldberg in a Tuk-Tuk the other day. So that in itself is crazy as well as funny I was laughing!! And just imagine this. Think how far I am from Utah. Now think how Utah State University isn't a big college. Well here they sell lots of shirts in little shops on the road. SOMEHOW there was a U State Aggie shirt! I was like WHAT THE!!! HOW IS THAT HERE!?!? One day this week as we were walking to the church we passed by 4 buff white guys! I was like HEYYYY!!! haha its just so weird to see white people and it made me laugh and they were super nice! I think they stay at the Boma Inn here in Eldoret which is right by where we stay! Talking about white people I also saw a family of like 6 at a hotel in downtown Eldoret. I again just laughed and we all made eye contact. There was 2 teen girls and when we made eye contact I just laughed at there faces. When they saw me I swear they were like :"What the heck. Why is there a white person here?". Like they are wondering just as I am wondering what a white person is doing in Eldoret! Not Mombasa or Niarobi but tiny little Eldoret in the middle of Kenya! Now 2 quick funny ones. So we were at a members house and they were watching some movie and someone flipped someone else off. I then proceeded to turn to Elder Mwanziu and go "Is flipping off offensive here?" little innocent and unknowing me. He starts busting up laughing and dying and I start laughing too and am like what? I'm being serious! He turns to me and says "Well its not a greeting" and then we both just died laughing and yeah it was so great hahaha! The second one goes like this. So we had a District activity on Saturday before transfers. Sister Alinyo is going home and Elder Ombaka and Waranga got transferred so we did an activity. We went to this pretty campground and explored, played football, ate, played games it was way fun! There is also a river and we played by it for like an hour. Some of the Elders said there is one of the tribes that lives on the other side of the river and they have been warned by the police to stay on that side of the river. Well Elder Call, Waranga and I stayed to play by the river a bit longer. Then we look up and there is 3 of the tribe men looking at us on the other side of this shallow 20 ft. wide river. They were dressed in animal skins and had white painted faces and legs and arms with black paint over the white in tribe ways. Well we kinda got freaked out and scared. So we started walking away fast and then they starting shooting little arrows and rocks and sticks at us! I was like whaaaaaat is going on!? It was scary but also super super funny and cool!! :D Thats it for this week but I am so thankful for the emails I got and I guess I get to see who my true friends are and who misses me or thinks about me on the mission by the emails. I know a lot do and some cant and yeah but I'm just like Okay i see you. Hahaha I dont even know what I am saying. Just that I love to get emails and pictures from friends and family, it really helps me! I love you all and am so grateful for all of you! Be safe and know that I am doing okay! Lots of Christmas season love, Elder Merz

No comments:

Post a Comment