Monday, February 27, 2017

So lots of news for this week and I will make it short as I can. So first thank you all who wished me a happy birthday! I had a great birthday and let me tell you how it went. So the morning was the usual morning and then we had some very good appointments and lessons and then Elder Mwanziu and I had some planned appointments at the church. So we go there and Antony that branch mission leader was there as well as Brother Ruben who is the First Counselor is the branch Presidency. So in Kenya they have a very wonderful birthday tradition. Its called Washing. Its this lovely thing where you are unexpectedly being drowned in water. So those 3 teamed up and whipped out the churches fire hose and they filled buckets of water and we were running around. Me trying to not get washed and them trying to wash me. So they got me pretty good and then I got revenge on all of them. I got Antony with a bucket that got him half wet, and Ruben the same. And then i was going the back way behind the church to hopefully surprise them and right as i turn the corner I see Elder Mwanzius shoe go around this other corner. I thought to myself...pshhh this guy. So he was hiding in this corner and so I ran by with my full bucket and absolutely drenched him in the corner!!! Then we had like a huge water fight and then it started raining pretty good! So that was like an Africa birthday present to me to have it rain on my birthday when its usually just super hot! We then walked home in the rain and I got to hear that nice mushing sound of wet socks and shoes with every step. Then Elder and Sister Pehrson (the senior couple we share a compound with) brought us some reallly good pizza which is a luxury here and then we went over and they made me a birthday cake which is also a luxury so in total it was a verrrry fun and memorable birthday! One I will never forget!! Then the next thing I will tell you guys is about Saturday. So mission President Msane called and gave us some news....Elder Mwanziu is being transferred to Changombe. To Dar Es Salaam and is the new District Leader there. I didnt believe it at first and neither did he, like the rest of that night we were like what that heck!!! And I am staying here in Eldoret for another transfer! The whole Eldoret district is changing this transfer. Elder Le Cheminant is going to Chyulu and is Elder Harrots new companion. A sister is leaving. and lastly Elder Call who I came from Salt Lake with is leaving as well which again is super sad. Then on Sunday Jimmy and Naftal got confirmed at Sacrament meeting and then we had 2 baptisms as well. The first is brother Ibrahim who I told you guys about before. We had to postpone his to this week due to his marriage certificate. Then Naftals wife Metrim was also baptized! So Naftal and his wife and both been baptized in the last 2 weeks! It was super spiritual and I cant stop myself from smiling the entire time when baptisms are going on! I love these people and to see them make these covenants and to join this true church it really is something that words can not describe! It was super happy! We also had an 8 year old get baptized with them so we had 3 on Sunday!!! It was crazy we had over 50 people at the baptisms on Sunday, that's the most that we've ever had! Then Elder Mwanziu bore his testimony and it was sad. So after the baptisms we just said goodbye and took a million pictures together with everyone! So today (Monday) Elder Mwanziu and I split up. We got a call last night at like 8 that he was leaving tomorrow so we had to pack everything quick and yeah it was all hard and sucked. I am so grateful for him and his example and for being my mission father. I am so blessed to have served with him and became such close friends. Saying goodbye to someone im close with is the hardest. Like when I hugged my friend Kyle down at BYU and then had to drive away. Or hugging Will and Drury and then just saying see you in 2 basically. Or when Luis came over and we talked for like 45 minutes then we both had to go and just watching him get in the Evo and drive away. That stuff is the worst and it was the same with saying Goodbye to Elder Mwanziu. He is an eternal friend and I am so grateful I got to be companions with him. Dar Es Salaam is not prepared for him! Anyway to end this suuuuper long email my new companion is Elder Thomas from American Fork! I am super excited to be with him and to become great friends with him as well! We picked him up today and were are already getting along good so that is great! Pray for us and I will tell you more about him next week when I as well know more! Thank you all for the birthday wishes and I hope you all have a great week! Kenya loves you! Love, Elder Merz

No comments:

Post a Comment